Sophie Kerr Promise Grants
You Choose Your Project. We'll Help You Fund It.
Grants for Experiential Learning and Professional Opportunities
[video: Emma Campbell received a $2500 grant supporting travel to Canada to research her SCE topic, Anne of Green Gables]
The purpose of the Sophie Kerr Promise Grants is to support Washington College English majors in their pursuit of experiential learning and professional opportunities in a variety of literary endeavors: internships, study abroad and unique summer learning opportunities, independent research and scholarship, graduate and professional school preparation. For more than 50 years the Sophie Kerr Endowment and the English department have supported and recognized students with “promise for future fulfillment in the field of literary endeavor.” These grants promise to increase the accessibility and ambition of those endeavors.
WC students who are declared English majors may apply for financial support for eligible projects and expenses, up to a total of $3,000 over the course of their time at the College. Individual grants typically range from $500 to $1,000. Students may apply for multiple grants while enrolled, and can use the funds for multiple purposes. Students are strongly encouraged to work with their faculty advisor to determine the best use of the grant(s). Students will be required to submit receipts and a brief report about the experience at the conclusion of their project(s). Awards will be based on the project proposed, the funds available and/or previously awarded, and may be subject to financial aid eligibility.
Eligible Projects & Expenses:
- Books and materials for research projects or independent study
- Research travel expenses
- Conference registration fees and/or travel expenses
- Study abroad/Summer course fees and/or travel expenses
- Off-campus study fees
- Internship support
- Graduate/Professional School: application and testing fees
- April 30 for Summer Projects/Internships
- August 15 for Fall Projects/Internships
- December 15 for Spring Projects/Internships
- Application Form with academic advisor’s signature/endorsement
- Itemized Budget
- Submit to: email@example.com