Detailed course descriptions, descriptions of distribution course requirements and
other curricular requirements are given in the Washington College Course Catalog.
1. Required Introductory Physics Courses (Typically taken Freshman and Sophomore Years):
General Physics I with Lab
General Physics II with Lab
Modern Physics with Lab
Scientific Modeling and Data Analysis
2. Required Advanced Physics Courses (Junior and Senior Years):
One Intermediate Experiment Course Selected from the Following:
One Advanced Laboratory Course:
Advanced Physics Laboratory
Three Theory Courses Selected from the Following:
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism
3. Physics Seminar:
Five one-credit physics seminar courses beginning the second semester sophomore year.
PHY 292, PHY 391, PHY 392, PHY 491, PHY 492. This course includes informal conversation
about physics topics, writing, presentation, problem solving and discussions of job
preparation and careers.
4. Four Required Courses in Mathematics (and two recommended courses):
MAT 280 (recommended)
MAT 340 (recommended)
5. One Physics Elective Course:
Any additional Physics course at the 300+ level.
6. Successful Completion of the Senior Capstone Experience (SCE) during the senior
year (4 course credits).